Saturday 22 January 2011

Power

It's been a long time since I wrote on here, well over a month ago, fast approaching two months ago.

Writing seems to have dried up for a number of reasons; my four thousand word essay and revision (which is still on going) for my exam on monday, the holidays and the fact that not a lot of interesting stuff happens over the holidays but also because the Power, the will, the desire to write is sucked out of me during this period.

The problem is that when exams come around, they take over you. They control you, doesn't matter how many you have whether it is six or seven like GCSEs or A-Levels or three, two or one like at University but the power from you controlling the level of work you do is shifted from you to the exam.  The stress of exams takes people over in different ways, but I'm sure a lot of people I know will agree, you eat and eat to stave off the angst that you may not be prepared. For me that is just one way of dealing with stress and not the worst. I let the exams' power take over me and pressure me into doing anything but the revision needed, don't get me wrong I still manage to revise but the will-power that would generally occur is diminished. If I'm offered the choice to go play football or go for a drink then I'll go and tell myself "You need to get out, it'll be good for you".  Although this does sound like a good idea, I would much rather be able to spend a whole week locked inside my room doing nothing but going over and over revision notes for the one exam I have this exam period, but I don't have the Power. I can't just read and read, I hate plans for revision because I don't believe you can plan revision, I don't believe you can plan what sticks to your mind because it has never worked that way for me before. For me, revision is torture. I don't know what way suits me best and every different way irritates me each time I try it.  I wish I had a photographic memory but I don't, if anything I have a memory activated by sound, I remember books, games and text's that I've read or played by the music I was listening to at that time, but that won't work in an exam as you're not allowed to listen to music, incase you're listening to your revision notes.  The exam period is a terror time for students, obviously there are some that can walk away from it and feel so confident, get a 2.1 or a 1st even but there are some like myself who are terrified that they won't even get a 2.2 and their whole degree'll be, for lack of a better word, fucked.  The paranoia that is caused by this exam period... it's amazing there isn't a anti-depresenant for it.  I mean Robin Williams had an amazing idea with Fuk-it-ol.  Sometimes I wish I could take Fuk-it-ol and just breeze past all the exam rubbish, the 2 hour exam in a silent room where all you can hear is pens scratching and feet tapping, let alone the occasionally cough or sneeze and then the horror and laughter of someone's mobile phone going off in an exam.  That has actually happened to me before, thankfully not at University but during a mock GCSE Math exam, and I was lucky not to be completely bollocked then. 

I started to write this blog as I was listening to Kanye West's Power the theme song for the Social Network trailer, a film I still haven't managed to see yet but winner of 4 Golden Globes and possibly my favourite for the Oscars.  It's competitor, The King's Speech, is close behind but also I haven't seen and yet the only two films I did see over the Christmas period was Little Fockers, the third and, unfortunaltely, not the last instalment of the Meet the Parents series, and Tron: Legacy, which if I was to choose a film of the last 12 months then Tron: Legacy would be it.  Great soundtrack, great storyline, great acting, great action scenes and I haven't even seen the original.  Jeff Bridges as both C.L.U and the Maker, Kevin Flynn was amazing and Garret Hedlund and Olivia Wilde were both powerful and believable characters.  The use of 3D animation at key parts, not the whole way through, was well done and this along with the inclusion of Daft Punk in both the soundtrack and the film was hilarious and ingenious at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment